Pages

Thursday, December 16, 2010

Eye Color Myths


Myth of Eye Color # 1


Growing up I always heard that since I have hazel eyes which appear mostly green that I tend to be more jealous than average. I know that is just a myth, but I wander if it has the slightest bit of truth to it or not.


Myth of Eye Color # 2


I have also heard that people's eye color can change from eating certain things. However, I have not found any evidence of this online. I did find that eye colors do change in some individuals through puberty, from birth to early childhood as eyes develop, and during pregnancy. Also serious trauma is a cause of eye colors to change. And most eye color changes have been reported in Caucasion people that have hazel eyes.





The Facts:


Wikipedia says that eye color is determined by the amount and type of pigments found in the iris of the eye. And that the iris pigment epithelium in all eyes of every color contains the black pigment known as eumelanin. And to put it shortly, the color variations of all individuals are defined by how much light is absorbed in the underlying pigment layers, based on the density of the cells. And of course, we get these cells passed down to us through our genes from our parents.






Eye Color Trivia:


Did you know the most common eye color is brown and the least common is green.





Question?


What is a myth you have heard about eye colors?


What color is your eyes?

0 comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments!