Pages

Thursday, March 21, 2013

Grandmammys House


Thanks to a fellow Gatherer, Ryan Reid for this post idea. He recently put up a post titled,
Just Saw My Dream House... and it got me to thinking....

My view, in my mind, of my dream house varies greatly now than it did, oh, say 10 years ago. Especially since things have changed so much in our economy and I guess the fact that I've finally "grew up." lol. Well, at least on the way anyways. lol. I use to dream of a huge house, in ground pool, hot tub, three car garage, my list was endless. lol. Even though it's just me and my husband here in this three bedroom, country home. I'd always be wishing for more room.  And then I thought about my late grandmother's tiny house.

My mind often drifts back to her. We all called her Grandmammy. She was a truly country woman. She lived off a farm her entire life. Her first home was a country, two story, wooden home. It had some sort of papering on the outside for years and years before it finally got some wood siding. It has a porch on the front that was made from rough logs and lumber that her husband actually cut down. It did have a big front and back yard though. Most of which ran into the fields that were used for gardens or farming tobacco.
Below is a pic of my late Mom, as a little girl, sitting on that very front porch, in the 1950's.

And in the pic below is a photo of my mom on the right, her cousin Ora Lee, on the left. Both standing in the the front yard of that same house in 1967. That tree in the background is still standing to this day. It's much bigger though. And the fields behind them are now cluttered with houses. It sad when you think back that it all use to be one big ole piece of land. Oh, how times have changed.

But in her last few years, Grandmammy moved over, on the same land, just down the road, into a one bedroom, tiny house. I mean tiny! That's all she needed and she had chosen to give her farm house to one of her son's that had lived with her his entire life. Well, she made the most of that tiny house. And she was as happy as ever. Sitting and rocking on the small front porch, almost any time of the day you stopped by. Mostly, peeling potatoes or stringing beans.. But she enjoyed it.

I've learned to love what I have as well. Nothing we have would be considered "fancy" in anyone's eyes, I'm sure. But we make do. And we like it.  And all in all, it truly is our home.

1 comments:

Salt Lick Shop said...

I previously share this post on another site called Bubblews. It's found here:
http://www.bubblews.com/news/891753-what-is-s-your-dream-house

Post a Comment

I love comments!