Pages

Saturday, March 23, 2013

Don't Feed Me Allergy Shirts

Allergies..... Read all about it. I mean seriously, read all about it on children's shirts!

Have you seen this new trend in clothes for kids yet? I'm talking about the bright red allergy shirts designed by Kym Whitley. Whitley is known best from her comedy and reality shows but this time she's in the news on a more serious note.

Whitley has launched a new line of clothing set out to help the 3 million + children with food allergies in America. The line of t-shirts are called "Don't Feed Me," and they have categories that parents can checkmark to show their child can't have that food.

These shirts would be great, on one hand, for the busy teachers and caregivers. It would be a bright red reminder as to what that child can and cannot eat. But on the other hand, it makes a child stand out among their peers. And that most certainly will give other kids a reason to bully them.

From a parent's eye though, I'm sure they want to keep their kid away from the dangers of prohibited foods. Rather than the bullying part. At first, I had mixed feelings about the shirt. And without having any children, I can only speculate how I'd feel in the moment. But as of right now, I'm all for the shirts.

I've suffered from food severe food allergies over half of my life. And that's what pushes my decision. I know how a few minutes, after having an off limit food, can break down the body. I don't think the everyday person thinks of food allergies as being very serious. But they are. One minute you can be fine. Next minute your body can start to suffer from anaphylaxis, which is the most serious, full body reaction to foods or chemicals. And most of the time, if not treated with immediate medical care or an epi-pen, death can occur.

I've been through one round of anaphylaxis over the years and it is very serious. And that is why I'm all for the "Don't Feed Me," shirts for kids with allergies.


How do you feel about the "Don't Feed Me," shirts? Click here to view one.
Why or why not would you put them on your children?

2 comments:

KC @ genxfinance said...

That's a nice idea.. But yeah, if you really look at it, there's the danger of bullying.. You don't know what other kids might do.

Salt Lick Shop said...

yes, I agree KC. And if it has the kids name on the shirt, it kinda endangers them to strangers being able to call their name also.

Post a Comment

I love comments!